Quitman County was created from parts of Randolph and Stewart counties in 1858. The county was named for General John A. Quitman, a leader in the Mexican War, once Governor of Mississippi, and an avid spokesman for states rights.
The county’s only incorporated municipality is Georgetown, the county seat. It was named for the area in Washington, D.C. It was originally called Tobanana after a nearby creek.
An earlier fortified settlement, believed to have been built by prehistoric Indians, was located where Cool Branch flows into the Chattahoochee River. Much of that area–indeed all of Quitman’s western border–is now beneath the waters of Lake Walter F. George, an impoundment on the Chattahoochee River.
Quitman County shares the Lake Walter F. George Wildlife Management Area with Clay County to the south.
The Quitman County Jail is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Harrison-Guerry-Brannon-Crawford Family Cemetery has many distinguished Georgians buried in it.
Quitman County Snapshots
powered by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs